- French (Advanced)
- German (Advanced)
- Spanish (Advanced)
- Arabic (Intermediate)
- Portugese (Beginner)
- Persian (Beginner)
- Python programming (Beginner)
- HTML5 (Beginner)
- CSS (Beginner)
- Grade 8 (Distinction) cello and piano
- Planning and delivering workshops
- Audio recording and editing
- Microsoft office
- Writing press releases and reports
Josh Mock – linguist, musician, writer, organiser
Determined and insightful undergraduate seeking experience in foreign policy, international relations, politics, and community work. Proactive and creative problem solver always looking to learn new skills. Strong awareness and understanding of theology, global current affairs, particularly in the MENA region.
I receive an Academic Excellence Scholarship because of my high atainment at A Level nad my first year results.
Pre-U Music (D2); French (A*); German (A)
GCSEs at All Hallows Catholic College, Macclesfield (Sep 2012 – Jul 2017)
11 A* GCSEs
LGBTQIA+ Officer at SOAS Student’s Union, London (Sep 2020 – present)
As the LGBTQIA+ Officer, I represent the LGBTQIA+ student population at SOAS within the SU. My role includes:
• Answering student emails for help and advice, and working with the SU or School to resolve.
• Running events for LGBTQIA+ students through the SU.
• Gathering opinions and concerns of LGBTQIA+ students, bringing these to the SU, and creating plans/campaigns to help improve the LGBTQIA+ student experience.
• Heading LGBTQIA+ History Month planning with Co-President Events and the LGBTQIA+ Society president.
• Representing LGBTQIA+ voices in Executive Committee and Trustee Board meetings, making high level SU decisions on things which may affect LGBTQIA+ students.
• Working with other Executive Officers to address intersectional issues that LGBTQIA+ students may face or be interested in.
International News Editor at The SOAS Spirit, London (Aug 2020 – present)
• Identify and cover news of interest to SOAS students and staff – international, national and in the local community
• Assign articles to writers and check in with them as the set deadline day approaches
• Edit submitted articles (fact checking, grammar, semantics etc)
• Help writers develop their article ideas to create comprehensive, accurate and informative pieces
• Work in tandem with the senior editorial team to curate the news section in the print and online editions
As part of a team of young researchers, I’ll receive training from experts in the field of research, support from Restless Development staff, and have the opportunity to produce findings that contribute to a better understanding of how young people are being impacted by COVID 19.
As part of my engagement in the programme, I will:
- Attend training webinars by professionals in the industry on how to carry out research
- Meet as a team to decide on areas of research
- Carry out a range of information gathering activities such as interviews, focus groups
- Collect data, analyse findings to form reports, and decide on action going forward.
I used Adobe Audition to mix and edit tracks and taught music students how to use music editing software to produce high-standard assignments. I also host my own podcast called The World Made Easy.
Provided key emotional support to a young person with special needs whilst working with a group of 16-year olds on NCS, including to create a community development and fundraising project.
As part of my voluntary role, I:
• Distribute food and essential items to the homeless.
• Promote sustainability by collecting surplus food, ensuring meals are edible, and distributing them to service users.
• Led craft and outdoor activities for primary school age children in Waterloo.
• Worked with project leader and other volunteers to prepare socially distanced activity spaces.
• Ensured that children were happy and safe during the sessions.
• Encouraged integration of vulnerable refugee families through conversation, support with access to services, and cultural exchange.
• Taught English to Arabic speakers through everyday conversation.
Café Assistant at Sidney Street Café, Manchester (Jun 2017 – Jun 2019)
• Maintained clean and organized appearance for all restaurant areas to attract and retain customers.
• Exceeded customer expectations by providing welcoming environment and prompt and friendly service to people of diverse backgrounds.
I was a member of The National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain 2016-2018, serving as Principal Composer in my final year.
I curated a series of art blogs for the 2020 Waterloo Festival, collaborating with a diverse range of artists to share their stories.
I have worked with The Commonwealth Resounds and the High Comissoner of Antigua and Barbuda to the UK to lead outreach projects in Antigua & Turkey.